Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:58:33 -0500
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>, Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>, Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000/7500

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 02:23:53PM -0700, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Tuesday,  3 October 2000 at 14:02:05 -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> >
> > 	I have Inspiron 7500, and am running FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE on it.
> > 	It works like a charm.
> >
> > Jan Knepper wrote

> > 	I've heard XF86 4.x works just fine.  However, I'm using the
> > 	XF86 3.3.6 server because 4 is still seems to be a bit unstable.
> > 	The 3.3.6 server will work just fine 800x600. In order get the
> > 	full 1400x1050 or other higher resolutions, you have to follow
> > 	the directions at http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/
>
> I don't have web access at the moment, but I suspect this refers to a
> problem with blanking under 3.3.6.  I chose to upgrade to 4.0.1 on my
> Inspiron 7500.  After a little bit of manual configuration, it works
> fine at 1400x1050.  I'm attaching the XF86Config.

Thanks! I installed 4.0.1 and works fine.

> > 	One thing you didn't ask about is sound.  The 7500 sound is
> > 	not currently supported; however, it is being worked on.
>
> It works under -CURRENT, but the volume is a little low.  I don't
> recall that I had to do any special configuration.
>
>   pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> port 0x1400-0x14ff irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0
>
> On Wednesday,  4 October 2000 at  8:07:03 -0500, Paul T. Root wrote:
> > On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:54:58 -0400, Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc> wrote:
> >
> > I have it running (4.1) on a 5000. It works pretty well. The internal
> > modem is a win modem, so it's useless.
>
> Newer versions of -CURRENT recognize the card:
>
>   pci0: <Lucent K56Flex DSVD LTModem (Win Modem, unsupported)> at 16.0 irq 5
>
> If you want support, you still need to write it, but at least you now
> know what it is :-)

That's cool.

> > I don't have a 3Com card with it.
>
> I deliberately didn't buy the card that comes with the machine.  We
> still have difficulty with 100 MB/s PCMCIA Ethernet cards, so I bought
> a cheap 10 Mb/s clone instead.
>
> > I got sound working (only through the headphone jack - known
> > problem) with the beta code for that sound chip set.
>
> The -CURRENT code doesn't seem to have that problem.

My sound card code is a little old. I should upgrade it. I also
have licenses for OSS, which I see that they have 4.x support now.

I'm hesitent to go to current. I use this as a tool, I'm not a
developer anymore.

> > I have only been able to get X to work, if I have an external
> > monitor!  Very strange, it comes up on an external monitor then you
> > can hot swap to the built in. I don't get that. I think that's with
> > 3.3.6.
>
> I suspect that this is related to the blanking problem I mentioned
> above.

That's exactly what it was

--
"A spy without gadgets is like a shopping cart without a
broken wheel."		-- Spy Fox