Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:42:50 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Subject:   Re: Name server config and nslookup

Beech Rintoul wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2001 08:23, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > % nslookup
> > *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.7: Non-existent host/domain
> > *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.39: Non-existent
> > host/domain *** Default servers are not available
> > %
>
> Those IP's do not resolve and are not registered with network solutions or
> the root servers.  You need to have your isp take care of this. The other
> possibility is to use the nameservers that are registered to your isp. Those
> should be ok for reverse lookups.

You're saying the ISP doesn't have reverse lookup data for those IPs?
Those IPs can't be registered with Network Solutions or the root
servers, they're RFC-1918 "private" IP numbers. However, there's no
reason why the ISPs nameservers can't reverse lookup their own addys.
Apparently I was wrong in my initial supposition that it was a config
problem on your part. Try this dig request:
dig @10.128.1.7 7.1.128.10.in-addr.arpa ptr
If you get a response back then the problem is something else, however,
I think Beech is right. If you don't get any answer to that query, you
need to politely ask your ISP to fix their reverse lookup config for the
internal network.

-Bill