Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:17:07 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> > config(8) does two things; it builds static tables of configuration
> > data, and it arranges for code aggregation into a kernel object.
>
> newconfig" is not only config(8), but also include bus and device
> configuration code.

There is code which parses the static configuration data, sure.  The
same goes for old config.

> See: sys/kern/subr_autoconf.c (in "newconfig", it it much better.)

Yes, I'm familiar with newconfig.

> Now, "newconfig" support static-linked kernel only, but it is
> first step. On near future, we support UserConfig, and next target
> is dynamic loadable module. These configuration, we support
> "newconfig" integrated.

If you haven't even looked at the issues involved in dynamic growth of
the newconfig-generated device and bus tree, then I'd have to strongly
suggest that you're wasting your effort right now.

> > > On "new-bus", How to handle boot device like console, fd, wd, ... ?
> >
> > I can't make sense of this question; could you expand a little?
>
> I think, some case needs statically-configuration. So, using
> boot-time divices, I think that they are
> statically-configurated. I want to know if new-bus using another way.

You're still not understanding the difference between configuration and
aggregation.

The new-bus code supports both static (compile-time) and dynamic
(run-time) configuration, as well as build-time, load-time and run-time
aggregation.

Drivers required for the boot process need to be aggregated at either
build-time or load-time (console, root disk), and they can either be
statically or dynamically configured - static configuration is optional
and only required if the driver or its parend bus can't work things out
itself.

The metainformation required to connect devices and busses is almost
entirely contained in the drivers themselves, rather than being
constructed at build-time by an extern configuration tool.  This is
more or less mandatory if you want to be able to add arbitrary bus and
device code to a running system, and one of the major marks against
newconfig.