Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 10:41:10 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Bryan Mann <bmann@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P-n-P

Bryan Mann wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Issue:
>
> I'd like to be able to hand people a couple of picoBSD floppies
> with a Java capable browser, possibly a trimmed communicator, have
> them install it on on their DOS/Win3.1 machines and just work
> similar to some Linux distributions.  The goal is to demonstrate
> how much power their old machine has when using a better OS.

neat idea

> Question:
[...]
> All kernel device probes detected the hardware fine.  Problem
> occurred when the install actually wanted to use the NIC.  It timed
> out because the kernel used the wrong IRQ(5).  After several re-attempts
> setting the IRQ for the NIC by hand each time IRQ 9 worked.

there was code in the original BSD that would set up the
interrups before probing  so that if any interrupt went off
during the probe, that was taken to be teh interrupt for that device.

I imagine something like that could be done again..

> Can anyone steer me to a solution or is anyone already working on this
> problem?

well there is a little work being done on this 'off line'.