Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:01:18 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Joe Shevland <jshevland@j-elite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended servlet starter tools?

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:47:16AM +1000, Joe Shevland wrote:
| > I just asked about web services, and I'm now trying to decide which jdk
| > to use.  Do I want the one from IBM, or the latest Linux jdk from Sun?
|
| /usr/ports/java/jdk13 I would recommend. Its the native one.

Is this the one that installs the Linux jdk, then bootstraps a native
version?  That's an insane amount of wear and tear.

| Then, have a look at the Tomcat ports for servlet/JSP functionality... a little learning curve (I think v4 is much easier to configure and integrate). If you get stuck I'm happy to give you some pointers.

Ah, excellent!  That's exactly what I'm shooting for: a basic Tomcat
setup to fool around with Web Services.  I don't know much about running
a web server, but from what I gather it shouldn't be to hard to get it
going.  I'll let you know how it goes.

jm
--
There are only 10 types of people in this world: