Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:30:38 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mike <muck@ida.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 04:36:34PM -0600, Mike wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
> >
> > I hope that you experts have a nice Hackerly Correct installation that
> > will satisfy your philosopy about what's "right". We'll all catch up with
> > you one day if you make us work hard enough.
> >

> I agree with you that more info should be provided by sysinstall,

Fine :-)

But you want more. So be it.

> but when you are asked *too* many questions, it becomes annoying. Case
> in point when you delete files in win95.
>
> 1st try:  "Are you sure that you want to send this directory to the
> recycle bin?"  Yes.
>
> 2nd try:  "foo.exe is a program.  Are you sure you want to send it to
> the recycle bin?"
> Yes-to-All.
>
> 3rd try:  File-Empty Recycle bin.  "Are you sure you want to delete
> these programs?"
> Yes.
>
> You have to answer yes three times to delete the program.
>

> It sounds like that is what you would like sysinstall to prompt you for
> each package you install.

Now you're being absurd. And totally missing the point. What makes you
think that, because I wish for some access to info about the size of what
I select to install, I want this stupid question and answer game, or
because I want things like my shell and favourite editor set up during
installation I want to be asked to confirm all packages? What makes you
think that, just because I'm a newbie, I have run win95 let alone like
what it does? You are obviously quite familiar with its behaviour, so you
must prefer it. Just as silly, no?

> Not sure if any of the above had anything to do with your email, but oh
> well.

Perhaps not, but it was very revealing about common untested prejudices
about newbies. Now, come on, tell me that I'll never be prepared to read
the f*cking manual without telling me where the bloody thing is or
checking yourself that the topic is included, come on, tell me I'm too
stupid to appreciate anything that's done to make things easier, that I
only want a games machine or a typewriter, that I'll never be anything to
freebsd except wasted space, that I want everything done for me by others
without putting in any effort. Then when I ask for advice on how to
approach learning/fixing something give a cryptic one-liner or do the
whole bloody job for me so you can use this as evidence of my laziness.
Do those things now while I'm here brandishing thick skin, not to some
other sucker who's too intimidated to teach you about their true
motivation. If you do still cling to the bullish naive assumptions about
newbies, use them or lose them.

I don't see how any hacker can claim to be good until they understand the
needs of those who are most restricted in their use of the software,
whether those needs can be addressed or not. Most people here seem to
agree, but have less than ideal access to the newbie's point of view.
Until you believe that there is something, anything, to be gained from
newbies you'll keep spiralling into a diminishing world of cronies.
You don't attract new blood by shedding it.

OBTW, when you guys are two old to see the bloody screen and your fingers
are too gnarled to use the keyboard properly, we'll be sitting here
developing your adaptive software however we think is "good for them".
Remember that :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-