Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:10:51 +0000
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        opentrax@email.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 02:07:44PM +0100, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> No commercial vendor, even the ones who charge for support contracts, will
> take and forward bug-reoprts for you. Neither will the grocery store forward
> your query/complaints to the pharmacy or the hardware store.
> You will have to do it, by yourself in both cases. This
> has got nothing to do with FreeBSD being the best OS or not. This is the way
> things work. You have to address your problems to where they belong. You can
> ask, where they belong, but after that you have to go there. The only
> exception to this is rule is public administration in many countries: Even
> if you file say a form with the wrong agency they will forward it for you.
> But this is the *only* exception and only so because they are required to do
> so by law.

Gnats doesn't need to record the problem in it's own db, in fact it
could just submit the problem as if it came from the original user to
the correct place - maybe even change the comment slightly to mention
that this is what was done.

We can be the government agency for the user, we can even
automatically inform them that this is what we're doing. It's an
improved user experience and debatably better than the next
improvements to make the mumbleco whatnot go slightly faster.

The following statement is certainly not fair, but it's something I've
dealt with before, and no amount of explaining is guaranteed to bring
an annoyed miserable first time user back from some Linux distro :

"package XYZ doesn't work -> OS-ABC is better than FreeBSD because
it's version of XYZ works (better)"

I agree on every count that it's not FreeBSD's responsibility to sort
out bugs in joe-random-package, however, at the end of the day, it
could be done and it might be nicer for new users.

	Steve

P.S. Yup, I know I didn't supply patches to gnats to make it do this,
I don't seriously expect anyone would accept them if I did.