Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:39:25 +0000
From:      "Christian Walther" <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To:        "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
Cc:        Andreas Davour <ante@update.uu.se>, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Throttle the CPU when the system is idle

On 21/01/2008, Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas Davour wrote:

> >> no but anyway - freebsd halts CPU when unused, even at full frequency
> >> it uses very little power wne unused.
> >
> > Really? Good to know. I was wondering if I could make this laptop of
> > mine a bit cooler, but then I guess not.
>
> I also believe that the CPU is actually halted when idle but using
> powerd brings the temperatures on my machine still down. As powerd can
> be adjusted in which interval it adjusts the CPU frequency, short tasks
> run actually at the minimum frequency if the CPU was idle.
[...]
Roughly speaking the CPU is halted, but the duration of this sleep
state depends on the speed the CPU is working at. Since the CPU has to
wake up regularly to see if there are things to be done it does so
more often at 2000MHz than at 200MHz, for example. Of course the sleep
time is longer at 200MHz, which makes a system to appear sluggish. But
on the other hand power savings are at max.

Christian