Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 16:43:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory VS. Performance under FreeBSD

Jamil J. Weatherbee said:

> Does anybody have any statistics on memory vs. performance as you go to
> large memory configurations (>64MB), also what is the biggest RAM
> configuration possible on a FreeBSD machine?
>
> Kind of something like:
>

> RAM for x USERS for x MEAN PROCESSES vs x DISK ACCESS

Can't answer that specific question.  However, there is kind of a design
"idea" that it should work with 3GB of RAM.  That would require significant
kernel tuning, because few of us have any experience with machines that
large.

We have avoided or fixed terrible algorithms like O(n^2,3,4) stuff.  We still have
stuff that can be improved, but we are making continual progress.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org