Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:25:49 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console

First of all I want to thank all those who have responded to my
problem.  I finally have it working.  However, I don't understand
what was going on with the boot process.  I went into /boot and
modified all the forth prints to be very unique.  Nothing changed
when booting.  All of the original messages were still there.  I
verified that the original messages only existed in /usr/src/sys.

Then I disabled the disk on the second ide bus by removing both power
and signal cables.  The system would not boot at all.  The BIOS went
looking on the ethernet for a net boot.  The boot order in the BIOS
was completely ignored.  Apparently the system was booting from the
second bus disk, but actually starting up the primary disk.

After fooling around with the BIOS, I finally got it to try and boot
of the master disk (now the only one).  Once it did that, then the
serial console worked fine.  All the altered messages showed
properly.  I then put everything back like it should be and just use
a -h in /boot.config and it now properly uses the serial console.  I
don't know if that way or the way outlined below is the proper one,
but boot.config seems to work so I will stay with that for now.

--
-- Doug