Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:27:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Tracy <ncrawler@telerama.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird SCSI problems with BT-958 Buslogic card...

Justin,

	Hiya!  I am still having the problem with the 5.06I FW on that
BT-958 host adapter.  Just thought I'd throw you some more comments..  I
thought you might be interested in this, because I have no problems with
the 2.2.x BT-958 driver in 3 other machines with nearly the exact same
hardware configuration.

	I was reading throught the archives from awhile back and saw a few
threads dealing with this.. in particular...:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=677678+680896+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-bugs/19990627.freebsd-bugs
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=634678+637538+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990207.freebsd-questions

	I was wondering about the second one -- that fix in cam_xpt.c... I
tried adding these quirk entries for my seagate drives, which happen to be
exactly the same drive as Chuck O'Donnell was using -- the ST34572W and
ST34573W, 4GB seagate barracudas.  The quirk entries didn't help me..

	I also tried adjusting the tagged queueing options and max CCBs in
bt.c (i.e., turning off tagged queueing completely / lowering the CCBs to
like 32 when it was on,) neither of which helped.

	So anyways, like I was saying I have 4 machines here -- all of
which have nearly the exact same hardware config, that is, a BT-958, and
either 1 or 2 4GB seagate barracudas.  Three of the machines are running
2.2.x releases (2.2.6/2.2.7) and none have had ANY SCSI problems for over
a year or so.

	Then, I decided I wanted to upgrade just one of these machines to
3.2-STABLE.  I wiped the disks and planned to do a clean install of 3.2..
I immediately started having the timeout problems as soon as I booted up
with the boot floppies.  Eventually I was able to work around this and get
the OS installed by putting in a new SCSI disk (another 4GB seagate
barracuda actually.)  Once the OS was installed, all of our software was
setup (just amanda and named.)  The machine worked for a while before
flaking out like it did, that is, for at least a week or so.

	I really wish I could take one of the other machine's BT-958 cards
and try it in this machine that is flaking, but those servers are all
still in production, and it would be bad to take them off-line.

	So, all of this COULD be because of a faulty SCSI card on my
end--I am working to try and get it replaced with an Adaptec 2940UW pro.

See ya,
-Chris