Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 05:03:18 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.ports.mk checksum

In message <199508141611.SAA13657@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>, Julia
n Howard Stacey writes:
>Perhaps it would be better if bsd.ports.mk checksum was only called to check
>a distfile, if it actually needs to be extracted ?

I'm not sure how this ever became the case, it certainly was never my
intention to do this with the checksum mechanism, as I know from
experience that doing a MD5 checksum on (say) emacs, when the distfile
is on a CDROM, is painful.

Also, once the port is extracted, there is not much the current system
can do about mis-matches, apart from gripe, which is kinda pointless
IMHO.

>Another typical problem I often see is this sort:
>	>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retreive this
>	>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and try again.
>	*** Error code 1 (ignored)
>	>> No MD5 checksum file.
>	===>  Patching for dmake-4.0
>	===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for dmake-4.0
>	File to patch:
>This is from running a make on a system that has no permanent internet
>connection, & thus is forever discovering a couple of new distfiles missing.

>Perhaps patch should abort, rather than hang, so a make -i of ports
>will not allways be doomed to hang ?

This has been discussed before, and I have yet to find a perfect way
out of this problem, other than hacking patch, which is something I'd
perfer to avoid if at all possible.

People (Poul-Henning I seem to remember being one) suggested checking
the patch before trying to apply it (there is some flag for patch to
do this), but after looking at the manpage I wasn't convinced this was
the way to go and (as usual) never had the time to go back and find
the True Path to Enlightenment :-)

>PS I don't really consider editing an ever changing list of DUDS
>anything better than a horrible cludge ;-) (though I'm gratefull for the
>previous suggestion, & it does indeed work, but it's just too manual).

Yes, I'll admit it, DUDS is a tremenduous HACK :-) However, something
like the DUDS functionality has loooong been needed in bsd.port.mk,
and I have no regret about it's implimentation (being IMHO the
cleanest option all round), although, in hindsight, DUDS is perhaps
the wrong name :-)

Gary