Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:35:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        NoahFekts@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partitioning

NoahFekts@aol.com wrote,
> Im currently on a system running Windows 98, with the FAT32 filesystem in
> use....
> Partitioning has always scared the crap out of me, but I still tried
> partitioning once in order install FreeBSD, and lost my drive... =\   Now I'm
> even more insecure about partitioning....

If you lost the drive, why didn't you partition it the way you wanted
when you rebuilt it? Anyway...

> I was wondering if someone can give me detailed instructions on how to
> partition the drive perfectly, to run win98 and freebsd together...

I went through the same process. I got my factory installed Win98 on
one big 8 GB partition. Here's how I did it, in fair detail.

> Info such as how many partitions i need to make, how many "slices" i need to
> make, and how to do all this without losing any more information....even if it
> means resorting to a third party program such as Partition Magic....

1) Defragment your disk. In Win98, this a utility to do this comes
   with the system. This will take a while, start it and go do
   something else for an hour.

2) No need to pay for a partition resizer. You are going to use this
   once or twice, and plenty of Freeware apps are
   available. Personally, I used 'Partition Resizer' by John
   Lagonikas... Ready for a lo-ong URL?

   http://softseek.mdonline.net/Utilities/Diskette_CD_ROM_and_Hard_Disk/Review_17760_index.html

   It's a simple DOS interface, but remember: Simple good.
   I just noticed, as of 12/20 that's a new version he has out too.

   In the resizer all you need to do is shrink your DOS (Win98 FAT32)
   partition down to whatever size you want to make it.

3) All the rest is done in the FreeBSD setup. Make yourself a boot
   floppy and go to town. If you do not touch the exisiting DOS
   partition at all, you will not hurt your Win98 partition. Make a
   new *BSD partition in the space you freed in the previous
   step. Slices will then be made in this partition, but the slicing
   is all done in the UFS partition and should not effect in anyway,
   the Win98 stuff.

I guess that's about as detailed as I can get off the top of my
head. HTH.