Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:11:56 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        Tim Zingelman <tez@nova.fnal.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world fails : file exists

On 5 Jul 2000, at 19:31, Tim Zingelman wrote:

> You might want to shutdown to single user and fsck the disks...  I had a
> 4.0-R system that was doing random things to my disk until I upgraded my
> system BIOS.  I ended up with files that should be directories as plain
> files or symlinks and visa-versa...  After I got a clean fsck, then I had
> to go through and delete the messed up files before an installworld would
> finish... though the buildworld worked fine...
>
> I've also seen the following in a recent message here (though it was
> regarding a 3.x->4.x build):  make -DNOPERL buildworld
>
>   - Tim
>
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > In my continuing 4-day saga to get 4.0-stable compiled, I encountered the
> > following error during make world:
> >
> > cc -O -pipe -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl -
> > I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5 -
> > I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5/toke.c -o
> > toke.o mkdir: build: File exists *** Error code 1

After a shutdown to single user mode, I did a make clean, and then a
make world.  The above error repeated.

I did an fsck /dev/da0 and everything was fine.  I'm about to do my fifth
cvsup in five days.  And also send another message to the client
explaining why their server is delayed.

<sigh>

I love PCs.
--