Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:38:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mly driver problem in 4.4-RELEASE

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, User Raymond wrote:

> When booting from the FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE CD, after the SCSI
> settle wait, the following appears 3 times then the system hangs
> indefinately:
>
> mly0: physical device 0:6  gone
>
> When booting from any one of:
>
>         FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE CD
>         FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE CD
>         FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE floppies
>
> The above message is printed FOUR times and the installation
> proceeds.
>
> The controller is an AcceleRAID 170, 1 channel, firmware
> 6.00-1-00.

This isn't the latest firmware.  You might want to try upgrading it.
While I'm not running the latest firmware either (same model
controller) I'm still running a later version than you have, which
appears to be the initial factory version.  I've got another problem I
have to solve and will be upgrading the firmware to the latest one
which should end up being 6.00-13-00.  The only problem I have is that
the kernel will _appear_ to hang for a very long time after "Waiting
15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle".  It takes about five minutes,
but it does eventually continue to boot and works flawlessly after
that.  Oddly enough, I think that problem went away with a very recent
-STABLE, though I'm not sure why since I never saw any changes made to
the mly driver.  Maybe it was CAM related and I just didn't see any
changes go in that caught my attention.  Anyway, it works better than
ever now.

> processor, vendor: ESG-SHV  model: SCA HSBP M14

Looks like the hot-swap backplane processor (HSBP :-).  Make sure the
controller BIOS recognizes the hot-swap backplane and is set up to use
it.  You know it is recognized and configured correctly if you can
pull a drive out of a redundant array and put it back in and it
auto-rebuilds.  You must have auto-rebuild enabled in the BIOS for
that to work, but it depends on a backplane processor to tell it when
a drive has been inserted.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet