Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:12:33 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Lutz Kittler <Lutz.Kittler@sse-erfurt.de>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Akthar Hussain <ahussain_fbsd@msn.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting Freebsd part in Linux

Greg 'groggy' Lehey writes:

 > On Tuesday, 11 June 2002 at 10:29:03 +0530, Akthar Hussain wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > >

 > > I had compiled new kernel in Linux to mount NTFS and UFS.Also able
 > > to read BSD disk label.
 > >
 > > in kernel >>fileSYSTEM options I had selected ,create modules for
 > > NTFS ,UFS,and read BSD disk label.
 > >
 > > if I boot my system with new kennel I can able to mount only ntfs
 > > partitions.but if I try to mount my FreeBSD partitions it gives error
 > > "unable to mount or invalid superbalck"
 > >
 > > also ufs and ntfs modules are available in
 > > /lib/modules/..8.-cus/kernel/fs/.
 >
 > > my partitions are
 > >
 > > hda1 = /boot (Linux)
 > > hda2 or ad0s2 = freebsd
 > > hda3 = / for Linux
 > >
 > > hdb1 = ntfs
 > > hdb2 = ntfs
 > >
 > > they way i tried to mount freebsd is
 > >
 > > mount -t ufs /dev/hda2 /mnt
 > >
 > > or
 > >
 > > mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/hda2 /mnt
 > >
 > > also some time it gives your kernel support only read only
 > > options.but i tried with -r , no improvement.
 > >
 > > if any one can help me ?
 > >
 > > do i have to do any extra changes in my kernet to mount ufs (freebsd
 > > partitions)
 > >
 > > is it my way of mounting is right ??
 > >
 > > my linux kernel is 2.4.18. redhat 7.3.
 >
 > This appears to be a Linux problem.  It's possible that the Linux ufs
 > implementation doesn't correctly recognize modern FreeBSD file
 > systems.
 >
 > Greg

Hi,

I had the same problem and found the following :

Disklabel on FreeBSD uses bsize of 16384 for partitions from 1GB

man disklabel :
     bsize       For 4.2BSD and LFS file systems only, the block size.
                 Defaults to 8192 for partitions smaller than 1 GB,
                 16384 for partitions 1GB or larger.

But linux-kernel 2.4 will not use it:

/usr/src/linux/fs/ufs/super.c:

if (uspi->s_bsize != 4096 && uspi->s_bsize != 8192
  && uspi->s_bsize != 32768) {
	printk("ufs_read_super: fs_bsize %u != {4096, 8192, 32768}\n",
	uspi->s_bsize);
	goto failed;
}

If you got this error you can set bsize when creating slices by
disklabel -e.

      lutz