Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:14:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        markd@Grizzly.COM, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@lojic.com, dwilde1@thuntek.net
Subject:   Re: A BSD-licensed JIT (was Re: Development Projects)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Godmar Back wrote:

# I'll bite long enough to say this: not all GPLed work is controlled
# by RMS and the FSF.  Please, do not equate the GPL and the FSF.
# For instance, Kaffe is GPLed, but the FSF does not hold the copyright and
# does not control it.  Kaffe uses the GPL for entirely different motives
# than the FSF does, see www.kaffe.org/FAQ.html.

My apologies if I drew that analogy.  I am talking about JITs
and both the ones that I know of are GPL'd and copyright the
FSF.  It is not the GPL per se that bothers me, but the attribution
to RMS and the FSF.  You are entirely correct that Kaffe is not
this way.  Thanks for pointing this out.

# FWIW, Kaffe is a JVM that also contains a simple JIT.

Cool.

# On a technical note, I thin it is impossible to develop a high-performance
# JIT independent of the rest of the JVM.  I believe that the jit interface
# as defined by Sun and used by such JITs as TYA and Shujo (sp?) makes
# integrating really high-performance JIT hard, if not impossible.

Please do tell.

# 	- Godmar