Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 19:35:04 +0930 (CST)
From:      Matthew Thyer <matt@camtech.net.au>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: evil -current

Boot off a CD-ROM or floppy disk set, start the fixit shell and then:
fsck -b 32 <your root filesystem>   may help you.  I had to do this
recently after overclocking my PCI bus.

That is a last resort process which you might need to try if other
recovery processes dont help (such as a normal fsck of your root
filesystem after booting off floppy disks).

Of course my problem was of my own doing nothing to do with -CURRENT
which has given me years of mostly trouble free operation.

If you have been reading the cvs-all and freebsd-current mailing lists
you will know that there has been a huge level of changes to -CURRENT
over the last month or so and there is bound to be some instability
while these changes settle down.

If you aren't reading these lists then I dont know how you can run
-CURRENT.

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Mark Hittinger wrote:

> Lots of sig11, then hang, reboot, my system drive is no longer considered
> "bootable".  Looks like bad bad things.
>
> Later
>
> Mark Hittinger
> Mindspring/Netcom/Dallas
> bugs@freebsd.netcom.com

| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973