Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:49:12 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server recommendation for co-location.

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:41:30 +0000 (UTC), in =
sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware
you wrote:

>> Ack!  I just specified a system with a 3ware card for my lab's file
>> server based on storagereviews recommendation.   I think I'm going to
>> have to ask for a substitution and get the adaptec for 4x40 GB ATA 100=
 drives

>You should probably just substitute a 6000 series 3ware controller.

When I spoke to the sales rep he said they were making them until =
December
and still supporting them afterwards for the 3yr war. How true that will =
be
1yr from now, no one of course knows.  But I plan to have a few in stores
as replacements should the need arise.  Besides, 3yrs from now, I dont
expect to be using my hardware the same way as now.

>> Since word on the street is 3ware is out of the controller business,
>> is Adaptec the only HW ATA raid game in town (2400A series) for my =
setup?
>> If so does the Adaptec controller have known problems?
>
>If someone can kick the relevant details out of Promise, I'm sure that
>something could be done with their 6-port controller, but in the =
meantime
>yes, Adaptec is the only game in town.
>
>The Adaptec controller is basically a DPT (sorry, Adaptec SCSI RAID)
>controller with ATA channels on it.  It's not a great device, although
>I'd say that it would a least basically work.

What driver does it use ?  Has anyone tried it ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)