Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:40:07 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        teklimbu@wlink.com.np
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to re-generate the passwords in /etc/passwd

> How do I use the above script for my machine which I access remotely by SSH.

Yuck. I could email you a list of 1000 random strings?

> > I could send it to you as Perl script, so you could generate 500
> > passwords in one run, or you call the web page enough number of times.
>
> That will be great! So I just run the script against /etc/passwd and
> presto, all the users in that file will be generated new passwords.
>
> I will need a way to pass the newly generated passwords to individuals
> users.

No, the script only generates random strings, you would have to apply
these strings to the accounts.

The idea would be to make a file with a list of user name and new
password, then use this file to feed to a script that force the new
password.

You have to keep that file in clear text, there is no way you can
retreive the new opassword after you have applied it to a user
account.

Bests,

Olivier