Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:51:38 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>  Hmmm... my /etc/resolv.conf on the gateway machine
> doesn't have my (local) domain name.  That is, the gateway machine
> is named "ponds.dignus.com", but /etc/resolv.conf has:
>
> 	domain vnet.net
> 	nameserver 166.82.1.3
> 	nameserver 166.82.1.8
>
> (which is the domain of my ISP and it's two nameservers.)
>
> Just to get concrete here, my two machines are called:
> 	ponds.dignus.com  (the gateway machine)
> 	lakes.dignus.com  (the internal machine)
>
> Also, one difference is that I do have a hosts.equiv on the gateway (ponds):
>
> 	#localhost
> 	#my_very_good_friend.domain
> 	localhost
> 	ponds
> 	ponds.dignus.com
> 	puddles
> 	puddles.dignus.com
> 	rivulet
> 	rivulet.dignus.com
>
> But, I wouldn't expect that to matter...

Some of this apparently does matter.  Why don't you start a
(cache-only) nameserver on ponds, and see what lakes is asking for?
Remember, SIGUSR1 to named increases its debugging level.

I just did this.  With an /etc/hosts.equiv with non-FQDNs, and an
/etc/hosts with non-FQDNs, no requests come from the rlogin server
machine.  So do you have all the above name combinations in your
/etc/hosts?

Besides, i don't understand why you aren't using a local nameserver
anyway.

--
cheers, J"org