Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 98 00:15:25 +0100
From:      Adrian Steinmann <ast@marabu.ch>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP / disk slicing: a MAKEDEV deficiency for slices>0 ?

I have been watching the escalation of this HEADS UP and must admit
that I've become more confused than I was before. So I will add some
more confusion myself ;-)

It seems that, for now, 'make world' in -stable sets -DROOTSLICE_HUNT
to maintain downward compatibility in the mount source files.  Good.

It also appears, though, that /dev/MAKEDEV only makes the [a-h]
partitions for s0, so this might be why some people are having
problems booting with their "new /etc/fstab" (in fact, I believe
this would happen when their root partition is not on slice 0).

I've tracked this feature of MAKEDEV back to revision 1.76:
    $ co -r1.76 -p MAKEDEV,v |grep s0h
    MAKEDEV,v  -->  standard output
    revision 1.76
		    for slicepartname in s0h s1 s2 s3 s4
    $ co -r1.75 -p MAKEDEV,v |grep s0h
    MAKEDEV,v  -->  standard output
    revision 1.75

Where we read this comment:
    revision 1.76
    date: 1995/03/04 12:22:14;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +56 -70
    For sd, vn and wd:

    Support sliced devices better.  E.g.:
    `sh MAKEDEV sd0' creates [r]sd0 and [r]sd0s[1-4] as well as [r]sd0[a-h]
    (the extra devices created by default won't hurt apart from wasting inodes).
    `sh MAKEDEV sd0s1[a-h]' creates [r]sd0s1[a-h] (any partition creates all).
    `sh MAKEDEV sd0s5' creates [r]sd0s5.

    Support unit numbers 0-31 (was 0-6).

Note, in particular, that '(cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV all)' will not make
the [a-h] partitions on any slices > 0.

Maybe it's time to change the line

    for slicepartname in s0h s1 s2 s3 s4

    for slicepartname in s0h s1h s2h s3h s4h

so that /dev/MAKEDEV makes the [a-h] /dev entries for all slices?

Adrian