Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:14:45 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recording program file version

At 1:59 PM -0400 9/26/00, Zhiui Zhang wrote:
>Each source code file in FreeBSD has something like:
>
>$FreeBSD: src/sys/kern/tty.c,v 1.129.2.1 2000/04/11 01:33:35 archie Exp $
>
>This is cool.  I am now working on a project on my own.  But I
>do not want to use CVS or RCS. Is there a simple way I can add
>the above message to my source code automatically each time I
>have modified it (like using some script)?  Thanks for your help.

Version information isn't overly useful if you can't get back
to older versions.  If CVS is too scary, then simplistic use
of RCS is pretty trivial to setup.

Obviously you could write some simplistic perl script to do
your own updating of a line similar to the one RCS or CVS
would update, but I think that would be a waste of time.
Why bother?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute