Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:46:17 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, alwan@rma.edu
Subject:    qic-80 floppy tape not detected -Reply

Michael,
	It looks like the ft0 entry in your GENERIC kernel config, is intentionally NOT probing the floppy drive.

	The Flag entry seems to have this purpose.

	I'm guessing that you can set a flag in the (boot system with -c) kernel config screen, to allow for probing.

	(IE:set the flag value to 1 in the visual config.)

	(I'm basing this info on the LINT file for my 2.2Gamma system.)

														[RC]

>>> Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu> 04/22/97 09:12pm >>>
To all:

Before I start moving cables around, I wonder if anyone has a short answer for this question:  I configured my kernel aka
the instructions in the FAQ (release 2.2.1) for my ole' iomega qic-80 floppy tape drive--in fact, I tried several
configurations.  No sign that the drive is or isn't being recognized at bootup.  The same thing (doesn't) happen with the
2.2.1 boot.flp.  As far as I know, the qic-80 drive is connected in the usual way to fdc0 via a tee-cable.  It works fine
in MS
Windows.  Appended is my kernel configuration file and demsg output--note that I have only one 3.5 in. floppy, and I have
tried designating the tape drive as both "drive 1" and "drive 2."  For no good reason, I stripped all unused devices from
the config file instead of just commenting them out--this is really my complete kernel configuration file, named
ALWANKERNEL. Any help would be appreciated!--didn't see anything quite relevant in the archives.

This is the second time I've posted this message to questions@freebsd.org--if no one knows the answer, my apologies for
the repost.  It occurs to me, maybe the tape drive isn't detected as a device at boot-up, or maybe it should be
configured as drive 2 on the fdc0 controller, since I only have one floppy drive.  Trying to mount the tape drive (mount
/dev/ft0 /mnt) gives me a "device not configured" message.  I've made the device in /dev.

Thanks,

Michael Alwan

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information read the handbook part System Administration ->
# Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel -> The Configuration File.
# The handbook is available in /usr/share/doc/handbook or online as
# latest version from the FreeBSD World Wide Web server
# <URL:http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/>;
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in
LINT.
#
#       $Id: GENERIC,v 1.77.2.4 1997/02/22 20:31:24 joerg Exp $

machine         "i386" cpu             "I586_CPU" ident           ALWANKERNEL maxusers        10

options         INET                    #InterNETworking options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast
Filesystem options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS
Filesystem options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem options         PROCFS                  #Process
filesystem options         KERNFS                  #Kernel filesystem options         LFS                     #Log
filesystem options         MFS                     #Memory filesystem

options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!] options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers options         UCONSOLE
     #Allow users to grab the console options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative options         USERCONFIG
             #boot -c editor options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor options
INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel options         SYSVSHM options         SYSVSEM options
SYSVMSG options         "MD5"

config          kernel  root on wd0

controller      isa0 controller      pci0

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 flags 0x1 vector f dintr disk            fd0     at fdc0
drive 0 disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1 tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2 controller      wdc0    at isa?
port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1 controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr disk
     wd2     at wdc1 drive 0 disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1 options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI
support for IDE bus options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

controller      snd0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq
1 vector scintr options         XSERVER                 # include code for XFree86 options         FAT_CURSOR
 # start with block cursor

# Mandatory, don't remove device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2"
tty irq 3 vector siointr device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr device
sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

device          joy0    at isa? port "IO_GAME"

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.

pseudo-device   loop pseudo-device   log pseudo-device   sl      1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device pseudo-device   tun     1 pseudo-device   pty     16 pseudo-device   gzip
  # Exec gzipped a.out's pseudo-device   speaker

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall. options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing

Copyright (c) 1992-1996 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Apr 20 01:23:54 EDT 1997
    michael@alwan.rma.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/ALWANKERNEL
CPU: Pentium (119.75-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x526  Stepping=6
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8> real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes) avail memory = 30539776 (29824K
bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0: chip0 <Intel 82439> rev 1 on pci0:0 chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 0 on
pci0:7:0 chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1 vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 67 int a irq ??
on pci0:9
Probing for devices on the ISA bus: sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa sio0: type 16550A sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa sio1: type 16550A sio2: disabled, not
probed. sio3: disabled, not probed. lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa lpt0: Interrupt-driven port lp0: TCP/IP capable
interface fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 flags 0x1 on isa fdc0: NEC 72065B fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
on isa wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC31600H> wd0: 1549MB (3173184 sectors), 3148 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S wdc1 at
0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5502TA/0206>, removable, intr, iordis wcd0:
1033Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked npx0 on
motherboard npx0: INT 16 interface joy0 at 0x201 on isa joy0: joystick