Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:02:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

As Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>  I originally reported this problem in version 2.1.5 of FreeBSD, on
> Aug. 16th, 1996.  The subject of that message was
>
>     "Nameserver and  'rlogin' in 2.1.5."
>
> it should be in the freebsd-hackers mail archives.  But, at that time
> I thought it was a totally different problem and let it languish.
> Since it didn't get resolved; particularly when my network situation
> changed, I brought it back up...

I still blame your setup.  As well as Sean, i can't reproduce the
problem in a way where i could not resolve it using /etc/hosts.  One
particular thing i've just noticed (by tracing the nameserver's
requests, as mentioned in the other mail) was... but first the setup,
so you can match it your situation:

	uncle.heep.sax.de     uriah.heep.sax.de
	      |                    |     |
	      +--------------------+     +--- . . . dialup link to
                Ethernet 192.168.0                  Internet

rlogin from uriah to uncle worked well, and generated no DNS queries.
rlogin back from uncle to uriah caused one query from uriah for
`localhost.heep.sax.de', which was not resolved by placing this name
in /etc/hosts on uriah.  I then found that i had to replace the line

127.1		localhost	localhost.heep.sax.de

by

127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.heep.sax.de

and *bingo* it worked.  Now, we've been discussing this before...

(Ok, now fix the broken setup again to use DNS for everything.  Heck,
why should i rely on outdated /etc/hosts files? :-)

--
cheers, J"org