Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 09:58:53 +0200
From:      Koen Schreel <K.R.A.M.Schreel@wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Greg Lynn <dglynn@vaview5.vavu.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS p2b-ds

Greg Lynn wrote:

> I know that question has been around before but
> I was thinking about getting a asus p2b-ds with
> ecc memory and 2 pii 350mhz cpus and I was
> wondering how kernel 3.2 does with smp?

I run a P2B-DS with 2 PII-350's (bios 1008). Nice motherboard, but I
don't know about ECC. The only thing you have to keep in mind, is that
some linux programs do not run under FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE-SMP. Especially
wine fails. You'll have to wait for 4.0 to have that fixed.

> Is there
> tweaks you can perform to the kernel?

I have

device          apm0    at isa? flags 0x20

instead of the standard

device         apm0    at isa? disable flags 0x31

to fix/avoid some timer problems which result in a wrong behaviour of
`top' and others. It could be that bios 1009 fixes this. It has
something to do with the Y2K compliance. I you are about to buy a new
MB, it will almost certainly have bios 1009 or even 1010.

> Also, is the
> adaptec-7890 chipset on this board supported well
> with CAM in the 3.2 kernel?

Yes, never had any problems. Only in the early days of 3.0-CURRENT I've
had a minor performance issue. I recently installed a machine with a
P2B-S motherboard and a Quantum atlas 9 Gb disk. The output of `bonnie'
showed numbers above 20Mb/s.

Koen.

--
Dr. K.R.A.M. Schreel         |   Eindhoven University of Technology
                             |   Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Combustion Research          |   Section Energy Technology
K.R.A.M.Schreel@wtb.tue.nl   |   5600 MB  Eindhoven, The Netherlands