Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 14:57:10 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *bsd on srm-less alpha's

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 08:47:18AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> He's talking about using MILO, which, at least as of 2.1.13, uses the
> OSF PALcode.  What nobody knows is if the PALcode in milo is close
> enough to the "real" OSF PALcode used by the SRM for it to be usable
> by FreeBSD.   It certainly seems close, as it has the text "SRM" and
> "OSF" littered all over it.
>
> Now, I've heard various people talk about how we need certain VM
> related PALcode functions that aren't avalable in the MILO palcode,
> However, nobody has mentioned exactly which function this is, and I
> think this might be an urban legend.

That's also the feeling I have after digging through al the archives and
talking to various people.

> I do agree that getting this to work just isn't worth the time and effort.

I do understand why the 'alpha people' didn't do this. It is alot of work
for just one type of machine. But this is exactly how opensource works, it
was waiting for the person really having the need to do it.

I will just give it a shot. I am not experienced with this at all, but I
will anyway gain some knowledge by doing it.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos				RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/		New Projects Group/TTM