Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 01:54:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jackv@earthling.net (Jack Velte)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci if_tl.c if_tlreg.h

Jack Velte said:
> >>There is great value in the diversity in opinion that FreeBSD core
> >> members express.  The advantage that we have, is that we do have
> >> a stable state where we do eventually know that we have to work
> >> together and do move forward, without splitting into splinter
> >> teams.
> >>
> >> All the above isn't to say that -core members don't have valuable
> >> opinions indivdually, but -core is part of a mechanism that we
> >> use to balance FreeBSD into a real and viable project.
> >
> >Well stated.  I'm tending to think of the FreeBSD project as an
> >anarchy that works the way it should.
>

> the anarchy works beautifully for technical production.  but it fails
> when it comes to marketing and serious business structure and
> revenue.

There is *NO* question that we need help in that area.  I do what
I can do well, and try to stay out of the way of those who are
good at what they do.  For example, my time is best spent working
on kernel internals and not userland stuff, not X windows, not
compilers or not marketing/sales...

If JKH and crew need more help with marketing, and there are those
who have the ability to help with it, I suppose that such help would
not be rejected.