Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 10:13:15 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: when UNIX is the big fix

On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

[...]
> So here my questions:
[...]
> Is there - yes you read right - a NC ("Norton Commander") for
> unix?

Yes there is. :

   "The Demos Commander, Copyright (C) 1989-1993 Serge Vakulenko"

Works extremely well under X running on 1.1.5.1R and 2.0.5R and most of my
users run it.  For the console you may have to fiddle with termcap a bit.
For a vt220 it has no problems at all

It came as a package some time ago, around 1.1 I think.  Here is the +DESC
file from the package:
-------------
DECO is a visual screen shell for the UNIX operating system.
It is analogous with famous "Norton Commander".

DECO can be used with any UNIX terminal, attached to UNIX operating
system.  The terminal must have direct cursor addressing mode and
80-character screen width.

DECO uses all possibilities of your terminal - keypad and functional
keys, colors, line drawing character set.

User's Guide is available in PostScript format.

DECO is not freeware.  It is available free of charge for free unixes
only, i.e. for FreeBSD, NetBSD, 386bsd and Linux.

If you need DECO for commercial Unix platforms, please send e-mail to
<deco-request@zebub.msk.su>.  It will cost you money, however.

Regards,
Serge Vakulenko

I don't remember it on any of the archive sites I've visited lately so
you may have to use archie.  Failing that I could put it on a site of
your choosing for you to collect.

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )