Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2018 08:37:30 +0100
From:      rainer@ultra-secure.de
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Testing: 11.1-RELEASE Meltdown/Spectre mitigation merge

Am 2018-03-06 17:41, schrieb Ed Maste:
> Background
> ----------
>
> A number of issues relating to speculative execution were found last
> year and publicly announced January 3rd. A variety of techniques used
> mitigate these issues have been committed to FreeBSD-CURRENT and have
> been merged to the stable/11 branch.
>
> The changes will be merged and released as an update to FreeBSD
> 11.1-RELEASE in the near future, but the candidate patch is now
> available for broader testing.

Hi,

would it be possible to provide

a) patched binaries
b) an installer for these binaries
c) a simple tool to backup the original binaries and restore them

?

Ever since binary patches became available, I've not bothered building
FreeBSD any more.
None of my systems have the source, nor do I want to install it
anywhere.

I'm also not bothering to install this in a VM - you guys have probably
done this a few times.

Regards
Rainer