Date:      19 Apr 2000 01:03:30 +0900
From:      CHOI Junho <cjh@wdb.co.kr>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd error with vmware2 networking

Hi,

I am running 4-STABLE. Recently I am using vmware2 port usually. To do
networking in virtual machine, I setup natd and other stuffs.

 1. Install vmware2. Select host networking in networking section.
    (vmware2 port of FreeBSD doesn't support bridged networking. right?)
 2. recompile kernel with these options:

  options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
  options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
  options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets

 3. in /etc/rc.conf,

  firewall_enable="YES"
  firewall_type="open"
  natd_enable="YES"
  natd_interface="rl0"
  gateway_enable="YES"

 4. IP of vmnet1 device is 192.168.2.1.
    IP of virtual machine(FreeBSD 3.4) is 192.168.2.2
    IP of rl0 is 192.168.1.2.

 5. virtual machine of vmware can do networking well.
   (default router of virtual machine is 192.168.2.2)

 6. But, this message happens repeatedly:

     natd[83]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)

I don't want to see natd error message anymore. Does I setup my vmware
networking properly? How can I remove this message?

I've searched this mail archive but I can't find proper answer.

--
 +++ Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my employers +++
 CHOI Junho <mailto:cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org> <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>;