Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:52:28 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New 3D software available

John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> do you need yuv->rgb routines?? I reciently wrote some so that I can
> do capturing in YUV9 and YUV12 and actually display the output...

Yep. All modern video cards have hardware YUV->RGB conversion
hardware and also hardware rescaling.

So, using the hardware YUV has 2 advantages
1) it is all in hardware. No CPU time is wasted.
2) a yuv format image takes alot less data than an RGB image
   (with sub-sampled U and V planes) so there is less loading
   on your PCI bus and less time spent blocking other apps from
   writing to the video hardware.

Roger