Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:17:45 -0800 (PST)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vnodes and BSD coding standards?

Hello,

As one who really wishes to learn the art of kernel development/modifications,
I've been diving into my FreeBSD /usr/src/sys sources, and have purchased
the books "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System",
and of course the Bach book.

So far, so good - it's deeply enjoyable being able to understand Unix at
such atomic levels.  Currently am learning about "trap.c", and have started
with hard/softclock() calls, following along in the 4.3 UNIX book.

The books I own do not mention the concept of 'vnodes', and it is clear
this is an important topic in the newer Kernels.  Can anyone refer me to
a book which does, or can explain them to me?  From what I've gathered,
it appears 'vnode' is an abstraction to an inode, mounted file system,
socket, pipe, etc, which is currently 'active'.

Secondly, the BSD kernel's C coding standard is a little different than
what I'm used to - are there any documents detailing the standards used
in the kernel, such as Indian hill, k&r, etc?

Finally, are there other documents/books on the bsd kernel besides the
book I've purchased.  There's a pretty steep up-front learning curve and
the more reference material I have, the better.

Thank you for your assistance.
R. Beerman