Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:09:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hunter Jozwiak <potbelliedjazz@aol.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: accessibility from the disk?

--MmeEWk6GjcBedoQpQHCwSjldshNWdIXsC

On 08/12/2013 20:56, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
> Hey folks.  In my quest to see what Unix-related systems can do, I
> happened to here about you guys.  Being that I'm a blind user, and most=

> distros of operating systems come with either Speakup (for the CLI) or
> Orca (the screenreader for Gnome), I was wondering what accessibility
> your installation disk has to offer, and how do I turn it on?

Unfortunately neither speakup nor orca are available on the FreeBSD
install media.  Of course, once you've got the base operating system
installed, orca is certainly available from ports.  As far as I know,
speakup hasn't been ported to FreeBSD.

The standard FreeBSD install media do not come with anything much by way
of accessibility features.  They're all text based and pretty minimal,
which doesn't give much scope for such features.

Probably your best bet would be to install PC-BSD, which is based on
FreeBSD, but configured as a desktop system.  See
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Accessibility/9.2 for a description of
the accessibility features available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew