Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:43:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   NETGRAPH in GENERIC?

Was chatting with Mike online, and we observed that more and more DSL
providers are providing PPPoE by default in many parts of North America.
Right now, this requires recompiling the kernel to support NetGraph as
otherwise you don't get ethernet netgraph nodes.  He also observed that
compiling in NetGraph support added only around 20k to his kernel size (I
haven't checked GENERIC).  This suggests strongly to me that we should add
NetGraph being to GENERIC, as this would allow kld-loading support for
PPPoE and other spiffy things by default without a kernel recompile.
Also, this suggests adding PPPoE support to sysinstall, although I
recognize that that's a little more complex than modifying GENERIC :-).

I was wondering what objections there would be to such a change, and
whether people think this is a good idea.  In particular, I was interested
in response from those who know more about NetGraph than I do (almost
everyone).

Thanks,

  Robert N M Watson