Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:32:47 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!: config changes...

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 04:18:29PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> change *ALL*  "device foo0 at isa? port blah etc" to "device foo" - see
>   GENERIC for examples.  All the 'at ? port ?' stuff is handled by
>   the new /boot/device.hints
> See GENERIC - if you use a static limited device (eg: fe, aha, le, etc)
> where GENERIC has 'device le 1' *and* you had more than one device
> (eg: device le0 at ..., device le1 at ...) then you will need to specify
> more units.  (eg: "device le 2" in the example above.)
>
> This is not quite yet complete, but is fully functional.  There may still
> be some syntax changes to the hints stuff in the future, so pay attention.

I just noticed that this change has now made a lot of the section 4
man pages out of date.

What is the best way to represent these changes in the man pages?
A good example is ata(4).  Currently it reads like this:

SYNOPSIS
    device isa
    device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
    device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

Should this become:

SYNOPSIS
    device isa
    device ata
    hint.ata.0.at="isa"
    hint.ata.0.port="0x1F0"
    hint.ata.0.irq="14"
    hint.ata.1.at="isa"
    hint.ata.1.port="0x170"

Or some much mess?  When will the hints file syntax be nailed down,
so that someone can go in and fix all the man pages without having
to worry about having to go through and do it all again when the
syntax changes?

Something in the loader man pages should be updated to provide info
on the new hints stuff.  Having a man page dedicated to describing the
hints stuff probably would also be a good idea to make it easy for people
to figure out how it works.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard