Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 16:27:32 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccard problem

I am attempting to use a pccard ethernet adapter (Netgear FA510C)
on my Compaq 1200 laptop and am having little success.  The windows
driver claims this is an Intel 21143/2 based 10/100 mbps Ethernet Controller,
but I don't think it's even getting to the point of talking to the card;
please see below.  The card was inserted into the machine with the
power off, so it shouldn't be a matter of detecting an insertion "on the
fly".

Using a 4.0 snap from 3/29/2000, I installed and turned on pccardd in
/etc/rc.conf, and pointed it at /etc/pccard.conf.sample to use as a
config file.  Upon boot, I see (transcribed by hand, typos are mine):

pcic0: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0xe30 iomem 0xd0000 irq 10 on isa0
pcic0: management irq 10
pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

If I execute ``pccardc dumpcis'' it lists two slots, and claims
both have terminators with length = 0.  At boot time when pccardd
starts, I get a message:

pccardd[44]: No card in database for ""("")

Interesting that there is only one physical slot on the machine,
but that may be an architectural nuance or something.

The card appears to be fine; it functions normally under windows.
I am pretty much a neophyte when it comes to pccard stuff; if anyone
has any hints or suggestions, or if there is further information which
would be useful, please let me know.  I can get a different card if
need be, and can also install -current if need be, but the symptoms
here almost seem to indicate that there is a problem talking to the
PCMCIA controller itself which doesn't sound hopeful.  I did search
the FAQ, handbook, and the mailing lists with no particular luck,
so any help would be most welcome.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com