Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:08:58 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: options for forcing use of GCC

On Apr 28, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Julian Elischer <julian@FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:

> On 4/28/14, 12:30 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>> 	WITH_GCC=3Dyes \
>> 	WITH_GNUCXX=3Dyes \
>> 	WITHOUT_CLANG=3Dyes \
>> 	WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC=3Dyes \
> forgot to ask.. is this in /etc/make.conf?
> or elsewhere?

Add them to /etc/make.conf. They will be global to the entire system.

Current may also require WITHOUT_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=3Dt and =
WITH_GCC_BOOTSTRAP=3Dt if you want to build the system with gcc. The =
=91build for the target=92 and =91what to build with=92 have been =
decoupled and there=92s no clean way to fallback.

Also, in the future CLANG_IS_CC is going to die entirely. It was =
supposed to be a short-term hack, and it has lived too long and been =
used in too many lame, hackey ways. It is time to retire it. It will be =
replaced by DEFAULT_COMPILER=3D<blah> which will drive the defaults to =
build with as well as to install with (nicely solving the current =
friction points here). I have the start of patches to do this, so maybe =
by BSDcan it will be gone in current, along with every last =
clang-induced build-system kludge. I=92ve killed about a dozen already, =
but more remain.

Warner