Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 22:32:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        jadeite@light.pomona.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iptrace and ipreport

> jadeite writes:
> >
> > Does anyone know what is the FreeBSD equivalent of AIX's iptrace and
> > ipreport?
>
> (Sorry for the delay).  I haven't seen any other replies, probably
> because nobody knows what iptrace and ipreport are.  From the name, it
> sounds as if tcpdump might be similar to iptrace: it traces a specific
> interface and shows the traffic.  There are a number of options--read
> the man page for more info, or see volume I of TCP/IP Illustrated
> (Stevens) for some practical uses.

>From the AIX man-pages:

  Purpose

  Provides interface-level packet tracing for Internet protocols.

   Syntax

  /usr/sbin/iptrace [  -a ] [  -P Protocol ] [  -i Interface ] [
  -p Port ] [  -s Host [  -b ]] [  -d Host [  -b ]]  LogFile

  Description

  The /usr/sbin/iptrace daemon records Internet packets received
  from configured interfaces.  Command flags  provide  a  filter so
  that  the  daemon  traces only packets meeting specific criteria.
  Packets are traced  only  between  the  local  host  on which the
  iptrace daemon is invoked and the remote host(s).

> ipreport says nothing to me.  Could it be like netstat?

  Purpose

  Generates a packet trace report from the specified packet trace
  file.

   Syntax

  /usr/sbin/ipreport [  -e ] [  -r ] [  -n ] [  -s ] [  -1 ] [  -2
   ] LogFile

  Description

  The /usr/sbin/ipreport command generates a trace report from the
  specified trace file created by the iptrace command.  The LogFile
  parameter  specifies  the name of the file containing the results
  of the Internet Protocol trace.  This file is created by the ip-
  trace command.

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)