Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 09:00:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        adamg@padd.press.net (Adam Greenwood)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specific questions about FreeBSD

Adam Greenwood stands accused of saying:

> As a Software Developer setting up on my own, I'm currently trying
> to decide between FreeBSD and Linux for the PC I'll be using. I've
> checked the hardware compatibility lists, and all looks well there
> apart from perhaps the graphics card - I have a Diamond Stealth
> card, but they seem fairly popular so I imagine it will be fine.

Diamond saw the error of their ways about a year or so ago and have
since been willing supporters of free software.

> I'd much prefer to use FreeBSD, as I'm a SunOs 4.1.2 user at the
> moment, and have heard good things about FreeBSD from people who
> have tried both. So, if you could answer a couple of questions
> for me, hopefully I'll be ready to go with it.
>
>  - Will FreeBSD allow the PC to be easily booted in either
>    Windows '95 or FreeBSD? I will unfortunately have to use
>    Win 95 for a few things.

Yes.  Install W95 first, as it's prone to wanting to think that it's the
only OS on your machine 8(

>  - Will FreeBSD happily mount a Windows '95 drive, long filenames
>    and all (cos I know I can't hope for it to work the other way
>    around).

Yes it will mount them, but the long filenames are not currently supported.
The FAT filesystem support in FreeBSD is somewhat vintage and rather buggy;
it's currently being rewritten from scratch.  For general get stuff from/
put stuff to operations, it seems to work OK however.

>  - Is there a source for advice on partitioning the PC hard drive
>    for a Windows '95 and FreeBSD system?

The book 'Installing FreeBSD' which is shipped with the FreeBSD CDrom
from Walnut Creek is full of useful advice and detailed instructions.  It
was produced with plenty of consultation with the developers and the user
community, and should go a long way to answering your questions.