Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 02:33:44 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nethack permissions

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 08:04:47AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> The nethack-3.2.2 package package sets user and group to games.games
> and permissions 664 for every file in /usr/local/lib/nethackdir/
> This has been deliberately set both in PLIST and in patch-aa (I think)
>
> Running nethack fails with:
> Warning: cannot write scoreboard file /usr/local/lib/nethackdir/record
> No write permission to lock perm!
>
> What's the trick here? Are well behaved users supposed to be rewarded
> by adding them to the games group or something?

/usr/local/bin/nethack is a wrapper shell script that calls the
real nethack binary in ${PREFIX}/lib/nethack, that runs SGID games:
-rwxr-sr-x  1 games  games  1339278 19 Jul 14:15 nethack

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?