Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 10:34:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de (Andre Albsmeier)
Cc:        jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm problems on 2.2, 2.1.7 works

> > Hmmm. This looks a lot like the problem I have on my news server.
> > It will run ok for a while and then suddenly start to use up all
> > of the swap. According to top and ps no process is using that
> > memory, but if I kill innd quick enough all will be ok. So now
> > I have a script that runs every minute and kill and restart innd
> > as soon as the swap usage go over some value. Not nice, but it
> > works until someone find this thingy.
>
> Yes, the same here. The swapspace in use diplayed in top grows
> to its limits but there is no process using it. procmail stays
> between 8M and 17M depending on the mail size...
> This confirmes my thinking, that procmail itself isn't the
> problem...

I'll look at procmail, but can anyone narrow this problem down to
a reasonably small piece of code?  When this starts to happen, I would
like the output of the following command file (which will give me more
detail about the problem that you are seeing):

#!/bin/sh
ps -xla
pstat -s
for i in /proc/*/map