Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:16:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panics when stopping pppd

Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> This seems to confirm my theory.  Here's what I think is happening:
>
> 1) An interface is downed.  All of its non-static routes get deleted
> automatically.
>
> 2) One of those interface routes was a cloning route.  rtrequest()
> notices this, and deletes all of its children.
>
> 3) Oops, a pointer to one of those children was held by rn_walktree()
> as the next node to examine... blam!

Any news on this front?  I'm also suffering from that problem, the
kernel always panics at the very same (totally invalid) %eip address.

In my situation, it happens whenever i shut down the SLIP interface to
one of my possible Internet connections.  The shutdown wakes up GateD
which in turn deletes the default route out the SLIP interface, and
reinstalls the (lower prioritized) default route out my ISDN (sppp)
interface.  slattach isn't even given the time to hangup the modem,
the kernel coredumps before.

Default routes out a p2p interface are cloning?  In this case, it's
pretty sure there are cloned routes out the SLIP interface around.
After all, i've been opening the SLIP line in order to reach some
host, so at least one cloned route is likely to lurk around.

Any workaround that at least prevents the worst?  Why didn't this
happen in previous kernels?

--
cheers, J"org