Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 08:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

On 10-May-00 Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
>> John Baldwin wrote:

>> > Not all need to be copied.  Nothing in /sys/boot/i386 uses the C pre-processo
>>     r,
>> > for example, but point taken.
>
> This is arguably another bug in the new boot sources (they use m4) :-).

Yes, but they mostly do this to use the macros to get around gas brokennes
with respect to 16-bit x86 code.  With the new gas that will all go away.
We will then be left with a few config variables, which can be handled
with 'as --defsym BAR=FOO', so no need for cpp(1) there.

>> The actual src/sys *.s files are 1.4MB in total.  Leaving out sys/boot
>> as well leaves 1.2MB.  (40 *.s in the kernel proper).
>
> I count only 500K for *.s.  1.4MB is for *.s,v.

Repo-copies copy the entire RCS file, though, so the effective bloat of
repo-copying all the .s files to .S would add 1.4MB to the repository.