Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:32:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whistle Claims and Copyrights

> Why doesn't FreeBSD add FreeBSD, Inc to the copyright? Certainly /usr/src
> contains copyrightable contributions by FreeBSD. A statement in the
> copyright requiring...
>
> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>    must display the following acknowledgement:

Because we don't like clauses 3 and 4 and have removed them from the
FreeBSD Project version, the BSD license being something we'd prefer
to leave as unmodified as possible.

> ...would seem wholly appropriate. The BSD license does not seem to
> preclude such a statement.

No, but it's not something we'd want to force on anyone in any case.
If somebody wants to call their derived product "FrobOS" and not
credit FreeBSD at all, fine.  If they want to catch some of the free
software buzz and get our more immediate help, they can also openly
use FreeBSD.  It's their choice.

- Jordan