Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:33:49 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   GRE Support in 4.X ???

Hi all,

    I Just like to ask if there will be support for GRE in 4.X releases
(without tunnels implementations), because its needed by wccp protocol
managed by Squid & Cisco routers, to create Cache Engines, there are some
patches & files that works in the squid home page, Im using them right now
with 3.4, and they work great:

http://www.squid-cache.org/WCCP-support/FreeBSD/gre.patch
&
http://www.squid-cache.org/WCCP-support/FreeBSD/gre.c

but I think it would be nice to see them integrated in to the base system.

Here it is the Squid description for GRE Support (taken from the webpage):

FreeBSD first needs to be configured to recieve and strip the GRE
encapsulation from the packets from the router. To do this you will need to
patch and recompile your kernel.

First, a patch needs to be applied to your kernel for GRE support. Apply
this patch to your 3.1 kernel. If you use a version other than 3.1 it may
not apply. You will need to manually change the appropriate files.

Secondly you will need to download gre.c and copy it to
/usr/src/sys/netinet/gre.c.

Finally add "OPTION GRE" to your kernel config file and rebuild your kernel.
Note, the opt_gre.h file is created when you run config. Once your kernel is
installed you will need to configure FreeBSD for transparent proxying.

Thanks for your time
Sincerely
Ales