Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:40:00 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PS/2 mouse problem and X-Windows?

I am suddenly having a problem with X-Windows (4.0.1_2) and the PS/2 mouse.
I have tried both the PS/2 protocol and the Intellimouse protocol.
Everytime I start X everything appears to start OK, but when I move the
mouse, it jumps all over the place - highlighting text and what have you.
In a split second it becomes stuck at the top of the screen.

Here is the kicker.

I have an Athlon 600 system from compaq (it was ...).  The mainboard in it
stinks.  Well, this mouse problem suddenly crops up after a fresh build
world.  I was sick of the quirks of the old board, so I went and bought an
ABIT KA7-100.  I put a new mouse on it and bought new Micron memory (PC133).
Everything is well, except this mouse problem has popped up again.  I have
no reason to believe that it is anything except for FreeBSD or a new patch
in X at this point.  I have never had this problem before, either with the
old or new hardware configuration.  I have not been able to find any
reference to this problem anywhere else on this list.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on here?  Have there been any
changes made to the psm driver?

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net