Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 00:11:23 +0000 ()
From:      Jason Kuri <jaykuri@oneway.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange problems with tty's

I've got an odd problem, and I was hoping someone could help me out.  My
system works fine, and for the most part I never have any problem with
it.  My problem is this:

   When I start X, I am unable to recieve talk requests, or write
messages etc. in xterms.  If mesg is y before I start X, any write or
talk requests show up on ttyv0, which I can only get to by hitting
ctrl-alt-F1.  If mesg is n before I start X, write and talk requests are
denied with a message to the effect of: jaykuri@oneway.com not logged in
even though I am logged in and have any number of xterms open.  If I try
to 'write' to myself at a particular xterm (say, ttyp0) i get a response
of: jaykuri is not logged in on ttyp0.  It seems that its a permissions
problem with the tty* files, but I have no idea what that would be.
the ls -l listing of the tty's I'm logged in on are as follows:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  tty    5,   0 Mar 22 00:08 /dev/ttyp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  tty    5,   1 Mar 22 00:04 /dev/ttyp1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  tty    5,   2 Mar 22 00:08 /dev/ttyp2
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  tty    5,   3 Mar 22 00:06 /dev/ttyp3
crw-------  1 jaykuri  tty   12,   0 Mar 21 23:41 /dev/ttyv0

Am I right in assuming that they should all be owned by jaykuri?

I am at a loss as to what is causing this strangeness, and any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Jay Kuri