Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:39:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP aliasing

Greetings,

	I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, and I recently configured several
IP alias addresses on the single Ethernet interface on the system.

	The first several addresses were all on the same subnet. Recently,
I added a new alias address on a different subnet, running on the same
wire. This new subnet has a different default gateway as the original
subnet, of course.

	If a packet comes out of the Ethernet interface with a source
IP address of the new IP address, which has to be routed, I get a
kernel message on the console about the default gateway for the
secondary subnet not being on the same subnet.

	Since that's all the message says, I'm assuming the kernel is
first ARP'ing for the default gateway of the second subnet through the
wrong interface.

	To make things a bit clearer:

	lnc1 is on 198.137.202.16/28.

	The new IP alias address is on 198.137.202.32/28. The default
gateway for this address is 198.137.202.33. The error message reads:

Nov 25 08:03:09 mate /kernel.MATE: arplookup 198.137.202.33 failed: host is not
on local network

	The packets do flow as expected, so presumably the kernel manages
to arp through the right subinterface, but I'm wondering if anyone else
has noticed this behavior.

-jav