Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:45:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      James Snow <sno@teardrop.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ptys and Network Sockets

I apologize before hand for what is going to be somewhat of a newbie
question.

I'm writing a network server for whose clients I would like to a provide a
curses-based UI, but without providing a login shell on the machine
running this server. (Need public access to this server.)

My understanding is that in order for curses-based screen control to work,
I need the functionality of a pseudo-terminal, as called by rlogind or
telnetd or sshd or anything else through which one can launch pine or
ircii or anything else with a pretty interface.

So, a connection comes in via a network socket, (piece of cake) but how
and where does it get bound to, transferred to, transformed into,
transmogrifed, whatever the appropriate terminology is, a pseudo-terminal?

Telnetd seems to have some home-brewed routines for doing this, and I'd
like to go with the one provided by FreeBSD if possible. I believe this is
forkpty, and it's called by rlogind, but I can't see where in rlogind the
network socket and the pty come together and live happily ever after.

I feel like I'm really close to the answer to this, I just need a push in
the right direction. If anyone knows of any guides that explain this
(hopefully in detail) or would be willing to explain this to me, I'd love
to hear from you.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the newbie question.

-James Snow

          | We live in the short term, | org dot teardrop at sno  |
          |   and hope for the best.   |  I am Geek. Hear me ^G.  |